Alzheimer’s is not a normal part of aging. It is a progressive disease that attacks the brain and causes problems with memory, thinking, and speaking skills and also causes behavioral changes. Each year researchers learn more about the disease. Here are the most current and most surprising facts from the Alzheimer’s Association.
- 5.4 million people are living with Alzheimer’s in the U.S.
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or dementia related diseases
- Every 66 seconds a person in the US develops Alzheimer’s
- Affects 1 in 9 seniors over age 65
- Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in US and is the only disease in the top 10 that cannot be prevented, cured, or slowed
- Family caregivers spend over $5,000 a year caring for a senior with Alzheimer’s
- $236 Billion was spent in America on Alzheimer’s and dementia in 2016
- Two- thirds of Alzheimer’s caregivers are women and 34% are over 65 years old
- About 1 in every 5 Medicare dollars is spent on someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia related diseases
- 60% of caregivers describe the emotional stress of caring for a senior with Alzheimer’s as “high” or “very high”
Whether the Alzheimer ’s disease has touched your life or not, these facts are staggering. Visit the Alzheimer’s Association to learn more about Alzheimer’s symptoms, stages, care-giving, treatments, research, and more. http://www.alz.org/ The Alzheimer’s Helpline is 1-800-272-3900.
Stayed tuned to the County Health Care Guide Blog to learn more about assisted-living, senior care, senior placement, and important senior news in Volusia County. From Daytona to Port Orange to New Smyrna, the County Health Care Guide is the only resource you need.