SERVING VOLUSIA COUNTY...
Are you on the search for the perfect gift for your senior loved one in assisted-living? A gift that is meaningful, useful, and practical for their current living space. While finding the perfect gift can be challenging, often it is the simple pleasures in life that seniors enjoy the most. Here is a gift giving guide to help you find just the right gift this holiday season.
Gift Giving Do’s
- Do give what is practical- You can never go wrong with useful household items. A desk lamp, personal toiletry supplies, desk calendar, cozy bathrobe, warm blanket, and books.
- Do make gifts personal- Custom photobooks, framed family pictures, and homemade crafts from grandchildren are all great ideas.
- Do give a gift that keeps on giving- A gift such as a calendar or magazine subscription can make your senior loved one feel special all year long.
- Do give the gift of fun- Seniors love board games, puzzles, word games, adult coloring books, and craft supplies. Not only can they help build cognitive skills, but they also can give fun activities to do with holiday visitors.
- Do take a trip- Give the gift of time together. Take your loved one to a special concert, movie, dinner out, museum visit, or trip to the salon. Make the outing extra special by attending a grandchild’s school or church holiday show.
- Do give a tasty treat- Prepare a meal for your senior to share with friends or a gift basket filled with goodies like cheeses, gourmet popcorn, cookies, nuts, or teas.
- Do give the gift of communication- Give your loved one all of the supplies they need to keep in touch. Fill a box with writing materials such stationary, stamps, greeting cards for all occasions, a journal, and pens.
Gift Giving Don’ts
- Don’t give without considering dietary restrictions- Gift baskets filled with sweet treats may not be appropriate so be choose wisely.
- Don’t forget safety- Some gifts can be safety hazards for seniors. items such as candles and breakables should be avoided.
- Don’t give gifts that clutter- Avoid gifts that are bulky and take up a lot of space. Such gifts not only crowd their living space, but could be tripping hazards.
- Don’t forget allergies– If your senior loved one has allergies, strong scents in lotions, soaps, and colognes aren’t the best choices.
- Don’t make gifts too difficult – When choosing the right gift, you want to take into account special accommodations. Simple modifications such as easy open lids, pump dispensers, and larger print size can make a big difference.
- Don’t get overly techie- It is important to keep your senior loved one’s comfort level with technology in mind when picking the perfect gift. You want your gift to be useful rather than stressful.
- Don’t overspend- Keep gifts simple and steer clear of expense gifts that could be misplaced.
Stayed tuned to the County Health Care Guide Blog to learn more about assisted-living, senior care, senior placement, and important senior news in Volusia County. From Daytona to Port Orange to New Smyrna Beach, the County Health Care Guide is the only resource you need.