SERVING VOLUSIA COUNTY...
It may come as no surprise that we are at peak season for illness here in Volusia County. From the flu, to the common cold, to the stomach bug- it’s all going around. Maintaining a strong immune system is vital for keeping you and your family healthy this winter. Filling your plate with immune boosting foods is one way to not only help you stay healthy, but also fight off illness to speed up your recovery. Here are 7 vitamin-rich foods that are winter diet must-haves.
- Citrus fruits- Citrus foods such as oranges, clementines, grapefruits, lemons, and limes are packed full of the all-important vitamin C. Since your body doesn’t store or make vitamin C, you will want to keep these foods on hand.
- Red Bell Peppers- Red bell peppers actually have more Vitamin C than citrus fruits- who knew? Vitamin C boosts infection fighting white blood cells in your body.
- Broccoli- Mom knew what she was talking about when she said to eat your broccoli. This is arguably the healthiest veggie there is. This vegetable is filled with protective vitamins to keep your immune system strong.
- Garlic-This powerful little plant contains allicin, which works to fight bacteria and infection in your body. That makes the garlic breath worth it!
- Yogurt- The probiotics found in plain greek yogurt will help your body maintain good bacteria and get rid of the bad bacteria in your gut and intestines.
- Berries- Filled with antioxidants, berries are a sweet way to strengthen your immune system.
- Sweet Potatoes- The vitamin A found in sweet potatoes is great for your skin, which is actually your body’s first line of defense against germs.
Stayed tuned to the County Health Care Guide Blog to learn more about assisted-living, senior care, senior placement, and important senior news in Volusia County. From Daytona to Port Orange to New Smyrna Beach, the County Health Care Guide is the only resource you need.